School of Engineering
The School capitalizes on its engineering science tradition, a low student to faculty ratio, and a rich liberal arts environment to give future professionals deep technical abilities, the capacity to adapt to the rapid changes in engineering, and the interdisciplinary background and aptitude for innovation that sets them apart from graduates of other engineering schools.
The School will positively transform lives and communities through innovative engineering education and discovery.
Statement of Goals
- To provide an environment conducive to learning, teaching, and research. This includes a diverse and multicultural first-rate faculty, staff and students and state-of-the-art facilities.
- To provide a top-quality ABET accredited undergraduate program suitable for the 21st century
- To foster a vibrant graduate program and perform quality research in line with national trends and achieve national recognition in selected areas
- To establish strong partnerships and lasting relationships with industry, government, professional societies, alumni and academia.
- To make significant contribution to the technological and economic development of the State of Mississippi and the region through education, research, and service.
- To increase the visibility of the School of Engineering locally and nationally.
Program Educational Objectives
Following graduation and during the first several post-graduate years, biomedical engineering baccalaureate degree holders from The University of Mississippi will possess skill sets to accomplish the following:
- Meet evolving expectations of future employers in the biomedical engineering workplace as well as other professional careers.
- Exhibit a systematic approach to problem solving in their professional practice including quantitative and analytical skills weighted with considerations towards a sustainable future.
- Pursue advanced studies in medicine and other professional fields if desired.
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively and perform ethically and professionally in industry and society.